When you research for moving companies in your aria and selected a few that you want to pursue, the next step for you is to contact the company and schedule an in-home estimate appointment for your long distance move.
Here will help you undulated what is an in-home estimate, and why it’s important to have one before you select a moving company for your next move.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING THE IN-HOME ESTIMATE?
During the in-home estimate , a sales representative from the moving company will come to your home. you will go over and walk through all over the house so the estimator will make a list of all the inventory of the items that you need to move. The list of inventory is the base of the estimating your moving cost.
when the estimator will finish the walk through you and estimator will talk about which moving services are needed, moving dates, pricing, and any of your questions about the move. The in-home estimate takes about 20 -50 min its very of house size and questions that you have.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AN IN-HOME ESTIMATE?
Every move is different, but the factors of every move are the same: how many items needs to be moved, what is the location of the move, and what services you will need from your mover. there are a few basics that the moving company needs to provide you with an estimated price for your move. the moving company has no idea how many trucks and crew members to send, what equipment to bring, how long it will take the guys to pack and load and which moving service you need, without this information. the only way to have an accurate price for your move is to meet with estimator at your home.
HOW DOES AN IN-HOME ESTIMATE FROM SKY VAN LINES BENEFIT ME?
first and foremost an in-home estimate is the best way to get the most accurate price of the move. The in-home estimate is the best time to get to know the moving company and your opportunity to interview them. At the time of the moving estimate, you can understand the moving process and ask all the questions that you have. Most of our clients say that the in-home estimate is the reason they choose Sky Van Lines.
WHAT SHOULD I BE EVALUATING DURING THE IN-HOME ESTIMATE?
Throughout the estimate, ask yourself:
- Did the estimator arrive on time to the appointment?
- Is the estimator dressed professionally?
- Do you feel comfortable and trust the company’s estimator?
- Is the presented move plan comprehensive and specific to your move?
- Is the estimator able to confidently and expertly answer your questions?
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO DO A PHONE ESTIMATE FOR YOUR MOVE?
The process for a phone estimate is the same process of an in-home estimate, only you will list the items that need to be move room by room over the phone with the sale representative guidance. If you move a smaller house or apartment, such as a two bedroom apartment or less, the moving company can do a very accurate estimate over the phone instead of in your home. However, if you like to do an in-home estimate instead, we are happy to oblige.
If your home is larger than a two-bedroom apartment, an in-home estimate is highly recommended to create an accurate inventory and it’s much more difficult to do so over the phone.
WHAT IF THE MOVING COMPANY WILL NOT DO AN IN HOME ESTIMATE?
hire only a moving company if they willing to do an in home estimate. there is a red flag to watch from:
- The moving company give you a price without a taking an inventory or going through the move details with you. in that case, they don’t have enough information about our move to quote you an accurate and have a lot of charges on move day.
- The moving company wants to do a phone estimate for single family home or large move. This means they do not want to take the time that is necessary to gather the information needed for an accurate quote.
- The moving company refuses your request for an estimator to meet with you for an in-home estimate. This means they do not have a representative available to meet with you who would be a good reflection on the moving company or the company is not local and have an active branch in your city.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR THE IN-HOME ESTIMATE?
For the most part, the moving company estimator will guide you through the estimate process. However, the more clarity you have on what the move entails, the more productive the estimate will be. Make sure you know:
- Which pieces are being moved
- What you are selling or donating before the move
- Whether you’re moving anything yourself
- What the movers are packing vs. what your family is packing
- Have a short list of questions for your mover to help you make a decision
WHEN SHOULD I SCHEDULE THE IN-HOME ESTIMATE?
As soon as you know what you want to move and when you’re moving, you’re ready to schedule your in-home estimate.
This is usually right after you sell or purchase your home, and preferably about 3-4 weeks before your preferred move date.